running windows via kvm module -- any experiences?

Mike Kallies mike.kallies-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 31 19:53:10 UTC 2007

On 1/30/07, Matt Price <matt.price-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> My girlfriend is buying a new computer a month or two from now and I'm
> hoping to convince her to let me install ubuntu feisty on it, and set up
> a windows VM using the new KVM module and rdesktop.  The idea of the VM
> is to let her use software she feels she 'really needs' -- right now,
> this is MS Office, endnote and Dreamweaver (I'd like to make all 3
> disappear, but that's another, longer-term project).
>
> Her main objection right now is that the person trying to convince her
> is a known linux ideologue who spends hours at a time hacking on his
> machine, and that she has no interest whatsoever in hacking -- she just
> wants her computer to work for her in a fully transparent way.
>
> So I am looking for stories from people who have done this successfully,
> and if possible some web postings that explain how easy it is to do, who
> transparently it works, and how happy customers are when they get a look
> at the superior OS which is GNUlinux (or ubuntu, or gentoo, or debian,
> or whatever).  cross-posting to the 3 communities I sort of belong to
> (ubuntu, debian, toronto lug), sorry if you get multiple copies.

One suggestion of something to try...

When you get Windows to run virtualized, connect to it through RDC
rather than the native virtualization.  With RDC, the mouse won't lag,
and both the audio and clipboard will work reasonably well between
Linux and Windows apps... play with the RDC settings if you have
problems with those features.  The performance is fantastic for
business applications.

You may want to have VMWare start Windows automatically and not
present the GUI.  Then Windows would be available in the background
through the RDC client.  Video will probably suck BTW, and if she
doesn't understand what's going on, she might gripe about the startup
and shutdown times.

Also make her Windows home directory a Samba share from the Linux
side.  Then she can move stuff around seamlessly.  If all goes well,
then Windows will just show up on the desktop pager.

Does anyone know if the OEM Windows XP license permits running Windows
virtualized?

-Mike