[OT] Thunderbird opens urls in new window, not new tab

Byron Sonne blsonne-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 30 02:49:23 UTC 2007

> network.protocol-handler.app.http to a string giving the path to call up
> a script which reads

<snip>

Yep, that did the trick (I called it openlink.sh) with a few adjustments
for paths, and a minor change from:

  mozilla-xremote-client openURL\("$url"\);

    mozilla-xremote-client -a firefox openURL\("$url",new-tab\)

The "-a firefox" definitely has to be there or nothing happens. I also
created a new file in my ~/.thunderbird/foobar.default/ called user.js
that contains:

user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http",
"/home/blsonne/.thunderbird/openlink.sh");
user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.https",
"/home/blsonne/.thunderbird/openlink.sh");
user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.ftp",
"/home/blsonne/.thunderbird/openlink.sh");

However, I'm not sure about the user.js step and whether it's necessary
since I did it before I figured out you had to add the "-a firefox" bit
to mozilla-xremote-client.

Dude, thanks alot! Glad to have this issue solved.

Cheers,