[OT] Thunderbird opens urls in new window, not new tab

Mel Wilson mwilson-4YeSL8/OYKRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 30 01:01:34 UTC 2007

Byron Sonne wrote:
> When I click on a link in Thunderbird, it opens it in a whole new
> firefox window. Instead I want it to open it as a new tab inside the
> already running firefox instance. I thought that was the default behaviour,

I forget where I found this.  I set the Config Editor entry named
network.protocol-handler.app.http to a string giving the path to call
up a script which reads

#--------------------------------------

#!/bin/sh

export MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME="/usr/local/firefox"

url="$1"
if [ "x$url" = "x" ]; then
   url="about:blank"
fi

if $MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME/mozilla-xremote-client openURL\("$url"\); then
   exit 0
fi
exec $MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME/firefox "$url"

and that does the trick.