Stress Testing

david thornton david-FkEgs2FKm2NvBvnq28/GKQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 30 00:07:42 UTC 2007

Randy Jonasz wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I've been given a server at work to "stress test" the hardware.  The
> server will be used as a java server, running tomcat.  Any suggestions
> for software to use?  I'm currently running memtest86.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Randy

you should stress test againt metric that matter to you. I've done a
pile of stress testing over time. how many users at the same time? what
application? Went you throw in some apache mysql  and java ... you need
to test under various configs. Test at various levels of concurrency?
what are you going to measure? hits per second? transactions per second?

Canned tools are good ( memtest , bonnie++ ), but tests for YOUR app are
the best.

David