Nice looking 'disk array'

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 27 06:25:28 UTC 2007

The next time I'm looking to do any disk expansion, I think I'm going
to look at some of the new "NAS" options...

One that looks pretty attractive is the Infrant ReadyNAS.

Empty of disk, it's about $800 CDN; it then supports up to 4 SATA
drives, speaking RAID with that so that with 4 250GB drives, you'd
have, with redundancy, 0.75TB of storage.

According to the FAQ, it's actually running Linux.
http://www.infrant.com/wiki/index.php/FAQ

Yes, I could throw a SATA controller onto an existing box; the
"appliance" approach here strikes me as being increasingly attractive.

Has anyone tried one of these?
"...  memory leaks  are  quite acceptable  in  many applications  ..."
(Bjarne Stroustrup, The Design and Evolution of C++, page 220)