Before I start NFS RTFM, will NFS handle this problem?

Teddy David Mills teddymills-VFlxZYho3OA at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 26 00:51:04 UTC 2007

I am wasting a lot of diskspace by keeping multiple copies of the same
data on different servers.

for example:
On CENTOS is my music collection and gallery2 picture database.
I would like to move this data (and all the data I have) onto the
FreeNAS1 server.
But I have to tell CENTOS, to mount/map the remote FreeNAS1 directories
to a various local directories; as if was local on Centos.
(even though the data will only exist on the remote FreeNAS1 server)

background data...

I am using two FreeNAS servers FREENAS1 and FREENAS2.
I back up FreeNAS1 to FreeNAS2 with rsync.
Thus I have a valid backup of all data.

Today's idea is to move EVERYTHING I have onto FreeNAS1. (currently 70GB)

If I move everything onto FreeNAS1, then I have to tell my other linux
servers to map FreeNAS directories and have them appear as local to that
filesystem.
I am not sure if this is what NFS is meant to do. If this is what NFS
can do, then full speed ahead.

btw,
FreeNAS has a NFS setup tab. I would image I would have to make the
other linux servers as NFS clients.
If this works, it will save me 100's of GB's, a LOT of admin work,  and
all I have to do is keep dropping more stuff into FreeNAS1.