MythTv - the mythtv user

Merv Curley mervc-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 25 01:24:18 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 23 January 2007 21:50, Tim Writer wrote:

> > I suspect that no one has to log on as the mythtv user to watch telly.
>
> Correct, you can definitely the mythfrontend as an ordinary desktop user.
> You do, however, have to setup your mythtv credentials correctly on desktop
> and on the backend, IIRC. I believe the packages have already done this for
> you for the mythtv user so it's easier to use it, esp. if your planning to
> watch TV full screen. If you want TV running in a window while doing other
> work, you'll want to set it up for yourself. I don't remember how to do
> this off the top of my head but I believe it's documented at mythtv.org.

There is one page that the user sets up where for a GUI, you specify the size
of the tv image, [1024 x 768 is good on a 1280x1024 screen] and then the off
sets from the top left corner.

i still have to get a good quality picture on the monitor, but there are a lot
of suggestions at gossamer-threads etc.  None haven't worked for me but that
has been from a lack of trying things.  Then there is the operation of
feeding a TV simultaneously, I gather in the Twinview mode for Nvidia cards.

I didn't get a good quality picure with the XP media center or the Adaptec
software either when I first tried TV out to see what it was all about.  But
this has been interesting, my first server - client experience and ssh'ing
into another computer has been a great learning experience.

Next is how to use a Standard Rogers Digital box, I don't believe we are able
to use the HD one yet. Still lots to learn.

--
Merv Curley
Toronto, Ont. Can

SuSE 10.2 Linux