MythTv - the mythtv user

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 24 02:50:30 UTC 2007

Merv Curley <mervc-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org> writes:

> On Monday 22 January 2007 12:48, Michael MacLeod wrote:
> > I imagine certain maintainence scripts are run as the mythtv user (think
> > mtd and so forth), and the backend records the shows as the mythtv user I
> > believe (or at least the mythtv user seems to own everything in
> > /media/mythtv/recordings (or where ever you put it)). I certainly wouldn't
> > delete it, as it might be necessary for some of these tasks.
> >
> Well looks like  didn't quite supply enough info.  I have one computer as a
> server in a remote part of the basement.  That machine only has the mythtv
> user. In fact I usually log-in from another machine to 'mythtv@'server' and
> don't do any keyboard work now at the server.  My front ends are in a couple
> of spots around the house and on them I can watch tv, order recordings, view
> recordings, delete recordings and the few things that are set up, all seem to
> work  ok.
>
> These front end machines are where the mythtv users were created that have yet
> to be used.
>
>  I am guessing that most people use a combo front-end/back-end install, so
> logging on as mythtv to watch tv might be best.  However,  have you thought
> of running mythfrontend from your own desktop?

Yes, although I haven't used it in a while.

> I suspect that no one has to log on as the mythtv user to watch telly.

Correct, you can definitely the mythfrontend as an ordinary desktop user.
You do, however, have to setup your mythtv credentials correctly on desktop
and on the backend, IIRC. I believe the packages have already done this for
you for the mythtv user so it's easier to use it, esp. if your planning to
watch TV full screen. If you want TV running in a window while doing other
work, you'll want to set it up for yourself. I don't remember how to do
this off the top of my head but I believe it's documented at mythtv.org.

> You will want the mythtv user for backend admin work I'd guess.  So far,
> looks like any one of your users could delete the pool recordings, but
> isn't that a danger you have now?

I think so but I'm not certain. Perhaps someone else can weigh in.

> Of course this one week expert still has a lot to learn. So I won't
> delete the mythtv user accounts for a while yet.

If you're concerned about security issues or something, you could just
disable the mythtv account.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
647.722.5301                                      toronto, ontario, canada