linux distro runs W98 games?

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 24 23:35:13 UTC 2007

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 18:08:08 -0500
Chris Aitken got an infinite number of monkeys to type out:

> I don't know that it would be great for games anyway. Is
> there a distro that has successfully integrated wine or winex or
> whatever so it can run Windows programs? I guess they are older Windos
> programs because my son, for example, still wants W98SE instead of newer
> OSs. He says his programs won't even run on XP.

Well, it wasn't *perfect*, but for the amount of money (about $10), it
certainly was worth it: cedega. Yep, winex repackaged, and maybe not in the
most ethical way, certainly not open. But I could not resist, and I tried it,
and it bloody well worked. I was running everything from Halflife to Medal of
Honour to almost...Halflife 2 (whereupon my hardware gave out).

Cedega will run a great deal of Windows games, is very cheap for say, one or
two months subscription, which at least will get you up and running, then you
really need only pay when you absolutely have to have the latest update, which
I never did for about 7 months. YMMV ;-)

You don't mention what games exactly, but Cedega should run any of the more
'recent' games, there's a listing of supported games here:

http://transgaming.org/gamesdb/

--
JoeHill