linux distro runs W98 games?

Chris Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 24 23:08:08 UTC 2007

My kids want to run Windows programs. I would like them to use linux for
various reasons. Is there a commercial linux (of the redhat side of
things rather than the debian side of things) distibution that can run
Windows programs out-of-the-box? Optional extra paid-for support would
be fine. I'm not interested in fiddling with their machines anymore.
I've tried dual-boots but then they never boot up linux. I actually
bought a copy of vmware but I can't shoehorn it into newer
distributions. I don't know that it would be great for games anyway. Is
there a distro that has successfully integrated wine or winex or
whatever so it can run Windows programs? I guess they are older Windos
programs because my son, for example, still wants W98SE instead of newer
OSs. He says his programs won't even run on XP.

Before *you* say it, *I'll* say it: "Yes, I *am* trying to make the
problem go away by throwing money at it." I am willing to do the work on
my own machine (audacity, rosegarden, printing, Internet, Thunderbird,
openoffice et al.) but I am not willing to do this much work on the kids
machines. But I would love for them to use linux.

Chris