Sabayon?

Ian Petersen ispeters-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 24 19:59:06 UTC 2007

> Can anyone offer any enlightenment on this? Is anyone here using it?

I downloaded it once and ran the LIveCD.  Your comparison to
"someone's pre-built Gentoo config" is reasonably apt.

IIRC, Sabayon is a LiveCD distro like Knoppix (insomuch that you can
use the environment that boots from the CD as a day-to-day computing
environment) but built on Gentoo instead of Debian.  I believe you can
install Sabayon to your hard disk, at which point it's just a
pre-built Gentoo, so you can "emerge sync && emerge world --update
--deep" to upgrade the installed software to whatever the latest
versions are in the portage tree.

I think the main advantage of Sabayon over gentoo.org's offerings is
that the LiveCD is useful for more than just installing Gentoo.
Sabayon was also the first place I'd seen a Gentoo-based system
running the new OpenGL-based X eye candy (AIGLX and/or Xgl--I forget
which) but it's fairly easy to turn on AIGLX in a standard Gentoo
install nowadays.

Ian

--
Tired of pop-ups, security holes, and spyware?
Try Firefox: http://www.getfirefox.com