Rogers high-speed internet

Michael MacLeod mikemacleod-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 24 05:14:09 UTC 2007

On 23 Jan 2007 21:42:34 -0500, Tim Writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> James Knott <james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> writes:
>
> > Tim Writer wrote:
> useless for
>
> > The modem/firewall/router combo isn't suitable, as the device I'm
> > connecting has it's own firewall and address translation.  It is also
> used
> > for VoIP and must have a "real" IP address, not the RFC 1918 address
> > provided by the modem/firewall/router box.
>
> We have exactly that setup in our office: Bell DSL service with a combined
> DSL modem/router. As a result, we have two levels of NAT, one on the Bell
> DSL modem/router and one on our firewall but it makes no difference.
> Nobody
> ever sees the addresses on the (two node) network connecting the inside of
> the Bell DSL router to the outside of our firewall.
>
> This setup is very similar to a traditional T1 where the ISP provides a
> router. The main difference is their router doesn't usually do NAT and
> they
> configure it to route a (small) public subet so you can use public IPs on
> your firewall.
>
> I preferred the old DSL setup, with a separate DSL modem and PPPoE on the
> firewall because there was no need for two levels of NAT but I guess Bell
> figured most people want a router.
>
> > Also, with ADSL, you don't see any traffic from your neighbours.
>
> Sure, which is why I said you must be snooping on your neighbours. :-)
>
> --
> tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
> 647.722.5301                                      toronto, ontario, canada
> http://www.starnix.com              professional linux services & products

I have a Siemens Speedstream 6520 from Bell. It has four ethernet ports and
wireless capability. If you connect your router to port 4, you can create a
pppoe connection through the modem (no router mode). In fact, I have mine
running the factory default settings, and haven't done the wizard in the
modem, so it doesn't have my username and password in the config. When run
like this, it'll let me make a pppoe connection through any of the four
ports. In fact, I can run two seperate pppoe connections to two different
computers at the same time. As long as the modem never recieves a dhcp
discover packet, router mode is never enabled. Wireless clearly doesn't
work, but since I have my own wireless router, I don't need to use Bell's
mickey mouse wireless.