Rogers high-speed internet

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 23 15:12:10 UTC 2007

Kevin Cozens wrote:
> BTW, If you get a Terayon cable modem, watch out. They are known to be
> flaky. If you start experiencing random disconnects from the Internet
> from time to time and a power cycle of the modem gets it on line after
> you have been using the modem a couple of months, the modem may be
> going bad on you. Report the problem to Rogers and track your outages.
Mine's a Scientific Atlanta Webstar. It doesn't do random disconnects,
but I do find that its performance degrades over time and that a
cablemodem reboot every two months or so improves transmission speed.

> After bugging them about my outages and saying I suspect the modem may
> be bad, they replaced the modem on the second service call to my home.
> The two guys that came the second time were standing at the front door
> with a new Motorola Surfboard 5100 modem in hand. They said that when
> they hear of connection problems and know that a Terayon modem was
> involved, they just swap it out. Rogers even gave me one months access
> free to keep me happy after all the trouble.
Rogers also did the same for me when I was having some sustained service
problems.

I've never done Internet with Bell -- and based on the problems I've had
with phone service, I wouldn't trust them with my net access. After a
month of problems afer moving in, which included hours on the phone with
support (through that absolutely miserable PBX system) and many days of
no service, their response -- two months later -- was to send me a $5
book of Tim Horton's gift certificates (which you know didn't cost Bell
$5). As a result, I spend the minimum possible with Bell -- and now that
I'm using Skype more, even my minimal Bell long distance usage will be
reduced.

I also find that Rogers is 'router friendly' in that they now seem to
expect that most users will have a router, rather than a single PC,
attached to the cablemodem. And I've had more than one phone call in
which I've heard the phrase "well, we don't technically support Linux,
but here's what has worked for other people...." has been spoken.

> It can be accessed via a web browser. To access the modem and its
> status screen, enter the address of http://192.168.100.1/ in to your
> web browser. There is little in the way of any configuration you can
> do. You can get useful status information about the cable signal.
Thanks! I didn't know that. It worked for me as well.

- Evan