Rogers high-speed internet

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 23 15:48:41 UTC 2007

Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> Kevin Cozens wrote:
>> BTW, If you get a Terayon cable modem, watch out. They are known to
>> be flaky. If you start experiencing random disconnects from the
>> Internet from time to time and a power cycle of the modem gets it on
>> line after you have been using the modem a couple of months, the
>> modem may be going bad on you. Report the problem to Rogers and track
>> your outages.
> Mine's a Scientific Atlanta Webstar. It doesn't do random disconnects,
> but I do find that its performance degrades over time and that a
> cablemodem reboot every two months or so improves transmission speed.
>
>> After bugging them about my outages and saying I suspect the modem
>> may be bad, they replaced the modem on the second service call to my
>> home. The two guys that came the second time were standing at the
>> front door with a new Motorola Surfboard 5100 modem in hand. They
>> said that when they hear of connection problems and know that a
>> Terayon modem was involved, they just swap it out. Rogers even gave
>> me one months access free to keep me happy after all the trouble.
> Rogers also did the same for me when I was having some sustained
> service problems.
>
> I've never done Internet with Bell -- and based on the problems I've
> had with phone service, I wouldn't trust them with my net access.
> After a month of problems afer moving in, which included hours on the
> phone with support (through that absolutely miserable PBX system) and
> many days of no service, their response -- two months later -- was to
> send me a $5 book of Tim Horton's gift certificates (which you know
> didn't cost Bell $5). As a result, I spend the minimum possible with
> Bell -- and now that I'm using Skype more, even my minimal Bell long
> distance usage will be reduced.

A couple of years ago, I tried to help a neighbour get set up on
Sympatico.  After three different modems, including one which killed her
phones, she went with Rogers, which has worked well from the start.

> I also find that Rogers is 'router friendly' in that they now seem to
> expect that most users will have a router, rather than a single PC,
> attached to the cablemodem. And I've had more than one phone call in
> which I've heard the phrase "well, we don't technically support Linux,
> but here's what has worked for other people...." has been spoken.

Bell will now supply a modem/router/firewall combo, but that's useless
for my work, which requires only a modem.