Rogers high-speed internet

Michael MacLeod mikemacleod-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 23 02:29:31 UTC 2007

On 1/22/07, James Knott <james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Incidentally, I'm on Rogers at home and have the misfortune of having to
> deal with Sympatico at work.  Rogers is much better from a reliability
> and performance perspective.  The help desk, while not supporting Linux
> is actually quite helpful, unlike that so called help desk that
> Sympatico provides.  Also, with Rogers, while your address is DHCP, it
> changes so seldom it's virtually static.  Further, your host name, which
> is derived from your modem and computer MAC addresses, never changes.
> This means you can always reach your computer from elsewhere, using it's
> host name.

I've had the exact oppsite experience. I have both Bell Sympatico and Rogers
High Speed at home. The Bell connection isn't fast, as I'm at the limit for
distance from the CO and they've had to knock the profile speed down a
little, but it's been rock solid for the last 18 months I've lived where I
do. It doesn't slow down, screw up, drop packets, or anything.

The Rogers connection goes down for a solid week every three months. I've
spent untold numbers of hours on the phone (mostly on hold) at Rogers to get
the problem fixed, had no less than 5 visits from their 'technicians' to
find the source of the problem, to no avail. Only this Sunday, after sending
them a battery of ping test results showing more than 90% packet loss for
hours on end and making sure they gave me ticket numbers and such did they
send out a 'senior technician'. The guy found the problem within 1 minute of
attaching a piece of signal reading equipment to our line. The same
equipment all five of the previous techs had brought and supposedly used.
The problem is with the line before the tap, so they have to send a
maintainence crew to the neighbourhood to get it fixed. This is 18 months
since I first reported a problem. And by the time they get a crew out to fix
it, it'll have been at least 2 weeks since I've been able to use the cable
connection.

Good thing I have DSL as well...