Rogers high-speed internet

Colin Smillie csmillie-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 23 00:19:29 UTC 2007

On 1/22/07, Daniel Armstrong <dwarmstrong-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Can the cable modem be accessed and configured through a web browser?
>
> Does the Rogers cable modem act as a router and dynamically assign a
> IP address to the connected Linux box?

No real problem with connecting Linux with Rogers but the Rogers modem is
essentially a black box that you never interact with.  About once a year I
need to unplug it but otherwise it just sits their with some blinking
lights.

In my case I connect the ethernet connection from the modem into a PC that
runs Linux.  The only problem challenge I encountered is that rogers assigns
you a hostname to be used for DHCP requests.  Once I figured out how to
configure the DHCP-client to send the Rogers host name it wasn't a problem.
Apparently Rogers uses the hostname to as part of the
authentication/registration to the modem...

Colin Smillie