Semi-OT 220v power in the home

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 19 20:10:15 UTC 2007

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 16, 2007 at 07:44:38PM -0500, Fraser Campbell wrote:
>>
>>> Not really but I agree that it's a PITA. Lots of stuff is still produced
>>> with
>>> non 110V requirements, HP's brand new C class blade chassis for example
>>> needs
>>> 3 phase power.
>>>
>> And how much power does a full blade chassis consume?
>>

> Just guessing, the three phase power might be to avoid a nasty power
> factor on a single phase line. (Hydro don't like it when you have a load
> that puts the voltage and current out of phase. They still have to supply
> the voltage and current, but get paid less because the actual so-called
> real power is less.)

Computer equipment has long run on 3 phase power.  I used to service
mini computers and some of that stuff certainly did, depending on the
load requirements.

BTW, what sort of power factor do you get with switching power
supplies?  I'd expect noise might be a bigger concern.   Three phase
certainly makes for simpler power supply filtering.