Semi-OT 220v power in the home

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 19 19:57:07 UTC 2007

> On Tue, Jan 16, 2007 at 07:44:38PM -0500, Fraser Campbell wrote:
>> Not really but I agree that it's a PITA. Lots of stuff is still produced
>> with
>> non 110V requirements, HP's brand new C class blade chassis for example
>> needs
>> 3 phase power.
>
> And how much power does a full blade chassis consume?

Just guessing, the three phase power might be to avoid a nasty power
factor on a single phase line. (Hydro don't like it when you have a load
that puts the voltage and current out of phase. They still have to supply
the voltage and current, but get paid less because the actual so-called
real power is less.)

--
Peter Hiscocks
Syscomp Electronic Design Limited, Toronto