LVM and MythTV

Merv Curley mervc-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 16 22:48:36 UTC 2007

On Monday 15 January 2007 16:36, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

I sent this message twice sorta, I didn't see the first one appear so I
rewrote it from a different distro.  You replied twice, with helpful info
each time.  Thanks, and further to extants

>   VG Size               204.82 GB
>   PE Size               4.00 MB
>   Total PE              52434
>   Alloc PE / Size       52434 / 204.82 GB
>   Free  PE / Size       0 / 0
>   VG UUID soZK9G-fPmn-x05Z-kIsd-w11q-e8b0-WgT7Fg
>
> Since I am using all the space for logical volumes, I have 0 / 0 Free
> PEs (Physical Extents).  If you create a new PV and add it to the VG,
> you should have more PEs free which can then be used to extend existing
> LVs or create new LVs.

In my other reply, I gave some of this info.  Since it comes from another
computer I had to type it and didn't give all the info like you did above
.
> > I assume that I make an ext3 filesystem before I mount it?
>
> Only if you are making a new logical volume.  If you are expanding an
> existing one, you already have a filesystem.

But I won't have a filesystem on this new linux partition on a new drive.
The stuff relative to this is down a bit.

> Trying to access an lvm from another system is not trivial (it can be
> done, but it can be a real pain).  You would have to scan for the
> physical volumes, then assemble the volume group and activate it, then
> mount the logical volume.  You can't simply mount it since you need to
> bring up the lvm first.

No I expect to delete all the existing partitions and create one linux type
partition.  Then create a Logical Volume add it to the videovg  VolumeGroup
on hda.  Maybe I create a new VolumeGroup on hdb?

 It would be nice if it were a part of videolv01, but I don't think that is
possible. I think I can change the configuration of the backend, so the
recordings sub-directory of /video would be this new mount in fstab. I have
seen three mount points suggested for Mythv
data,  /var/lib/xxxx,  /mnt/store and MythDora set it up as /video

This will be confusing to you I am sure since these 2 messages are a part of
the same thread. They are tied together in my grey cells, maybe I need to
start over with this info?

Cheerio

--
Merv Curley