(OT) Re:Why english is important

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 16 02:03:36 UTC 2007

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> We generally get Kokuho Rose from California http://www.kodafarms.com/
> That seems to be both a variety of rice AND a brand name.  Confusing.

Kokuho is nothing more than a Calfornia brand of Calrose. Everything
else is marketing. :-)

They don't use the word Calrose for the same reason Red Hat doesn't use
penguins. They're both trying to distance themselves from the rest in
theoir fields.

> Beware of agricultural products from China.  Their use of pesticides
> and "nightsoil" is not controlled as well as in the first world.

Well, despite the packagers' instructions otherwise, it's always good
practise to rinse _any_ Calrose at least twice before cooking.

> | PS: I highly recommend a trip to one of Toronto's T&T supermarkets; this
> | ain't no Loblaws.
>
> It's way more like Loblaws than other asian food stores we have been to.
Before T&T I bought my rice (and other Asian groceries) at a small chain
called P.A.T. They have stores off Yonge near Sheppard, Bloor near
Bathurst, Dundas near Cawthra, and Lawrence near Warden. Much smaller
than T&T and clearly geared more to Korean and Japanese than other
styles, but extremely clean and bright with helpful staff when I've gone.

- Evan