make apache2 serve file as htmL? (kinda urgent)

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 12 22:03:44 UTC 2007

On Friday 12 January 2007 11:40, Christopher Browne wrote:
> On 1/12/07, Chris McDermott <chris.trismegistus-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > > I just screwed up and wrote down the wrong url in my lecture:
> > > http://www.derailleur.org/global
> > > instead of
> > > http://www.derailleur.org/global.html
> >
> > Make a directory named 'global' and move the file to
> > 'global/index.html'.
>
> That seems as though it would work, but it also seems a crummy
> answer to me.
>
> I'd like to be able to have my web pages all leave out the ".html"
> suffix, and still work.  (Aside: People seem to keep forgetting
> that Unix has NO SUCH THING as a "file extension."  It's not
> MS-DOS.  It's not VMS.  It's not MVS.  All of those systems had
> special portions of filenames known as an "extension."  Unix
> doesn't do that.)
>
> http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI.html
> "Cool URIs don't change"
>
> They suggest leaving out all sorts of things that often get stowed
> in a URI: - Author's name
>  - Subject classification
>  - Status (old/draft/latest/cool/lastweek)
>  - Access permissions (public/private/team/...)
>  - File name extension
>  - Software mechanisms (.cgi, /exec/, .pl, ...)
>
> There's no good reason to publish your technical details as part of
> the URL, except that web servers sometimes make it inconvenient to
> do otherwise...

I agree, Chris. Plone, Drupal, Django, TurboGears, Pylons, and Ruby on
Rails, to name a few web frameworks and content management systems,
all have mechanisms to generate clean URLs. An added bonus to clean
URLs is that URLs which are human friendly tend to be search engine
friendly too.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay