(OT) Re:Why english is important

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Thu Jan 11 15:33:44 UTC 2007

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> My wife got a set of mahjong tiles for xmas (I believe from her brother)
> and the instructions in english are about as comprehensible as that rice
> description.  The french instructions look much more sane (although I
> can't read them), so hopefully my wife can figure out the rules from
> that and translate for me. :)

In the Jewish area of Toronto (go figure) there are Mah Jongg _leagues_,
and stores in the area sell official rule books of a North American
version of the game.

Here's one place to get the current one online:
http://www.mahjonggmaven.com/store/products_details.php?cat=0&cp=0&s=&id=A10-07

I haven't been around that stuff for ages, but the way I recall it was
played a lot like Gin Rummy with tiles instead of cards. You can
probably get by with the instructions on the Wikipedia page, but they're
not exactly straightforward either.

This may have actually very little with the way the tiles are used in
Asia, but that's all I know. And of course it's nothing like the
solitaire version found in many computer game forms.
>> PS: I highly recommend a trip to one of Toronto's T&T supermarkets; this
>> ain't no Loblaws.
>>

> But they are so amazingly crowded whenever I go there. :)

Best time to go is Sunday night. They're open every night -- including
Sundays -- until 10.

And the Promenade location is less crowded than Steeles & Warden.

- Evan