Programming/Scripting Resource

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 10 22:41:36 UTC 2007

On 1/10/07, bob <ican-rZHaEmXdJNJWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Not for Perl, but for general C, Tcl/Tk and Bash Linux programming you might
> try my nofee online courses at:
>
> http://www.icanprogram.com/09tk/main.html
> and
> http://www.icanprogram.com/43ux/main.html
>
> All it will cost you is a voluntary contribution to Cancer research.
>
> bob
>

> On Wednesday 10 January 2007 03:52 pm, Matt wrote:
> > **WARNING-n00b ALERT**
> > I've been dabbling in Linux over the last few years, and lately it has
> > become apparent that my lack of programming/scripting knowledge is going
> > to be a problem sooner or later, especially after Leah's excellent
> > session on LDAP last night.  However, I suck at debugging - I can handle
> > tracking down silly mistakes like missing semicolons and the like, but
> > when it comes to hardcore debugging, I'm usually up the proverbial
> > creek.
> >
> > So, I have two questions:
> > 1) What language should I look at learning/relearning?  I'm thinking
> > Perl, since I've done some before, though it's been a while
> > 2) Does anyone know a good resource for n00bs to teach themselves?

Taking one of the ICanProgram courses might be a good idea -- the
Bash/C course looks like it covers quite a bit of ground and may give
you a solid foundation for learning how to use debugging tools in
general.  (FWIW, I just registered for the 43ux course to fill in some
basic linux dev gaps and get back into C programming...  Thanks for
the links/courses Bob!)

If you choose to go with Perl (or even just to play around with a
debugger), there's a nice little tutorial for getting started with the
Perl 5.6 debugger at
http://www.sunsite.ualberta.ca/Documentation/Misc/perl-5.6.1/pod/perldebtut.html

(I would suspect that most of it applies to Perl 5.8 as well, but
couldn't say for sure.)

Best of Luck!

--
Scott Elcomb
http://atomos.sourceforge.net/

  - Benjamin Franklin

'"A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting
on its shoes."

  - Mark Twain