Programming/Scripting Resource

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 10 22:06:26 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 03:52:25PM -0500, Matt wrote:
> **WARNING-n00b ALERT**
> I've been dabbling in Linux over the last few years, and lately it has
> become apparent that my lack of programming/scripting knowledge is going
> to be a problem sooner or later, especially after Leah's excellent
> session on LDAP last night.  However, I suck at debugging - I can handle
> tracking down silly mistakes like missing semicolons and the like, but
> when it comes to hardcore debugging, I'm usually up the proverbial
> creek.
>
> So, I have two questions:
> 1) What language should I look at learning/relearning?  I'm thinking
> Perl, since I've done some before, though it's been a while

I hear python is nice.  perl is certainly common and useful although one
of the most messy and inconsistent languages I have ever worked with.
There is also plain sh scripts and bash scripts which are very useful.
awk scripts seem to be mostly replaced by perl now, as are sed scripts.
Some people use ruby, although I have never been convinced it really has
anything uniquely useful to offer.

> 2) Does anyone know a good resource for n00bs to teach themselves?

There should be lots of examples and introductions to most of the above
a quick google search away.

--
Len Sorensen