what to use instead of skype?

G. Matthew Rice matt-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 10 19:21:25 UTC 2007

Alex Maynard <amaynard-vQ8rsROW2HJSpjfjxSPG1fd9D2ou9A/h at public.gmane.org> writes:
> > so my extended family are all videoconferencing with skype now.  I went
> > through some efforts to get skype 1.3 working on my ubuntu laptop (dell
> > latitude d820, some futzy audio settings), only to discover that the
> > linux version has no video!!!
>
> I just bought a dell laptop running ubuntu and am having a bit of trouble
> getting skype working. I wasn't going to bother the list with questions,
> but if you can share any details of how you got it working that could
> really help a lot.

For the latest ubuntu, I just installed easyubuntu and had it configure the
sources.list file and and install things like skype for me (it also installs
a lot of other useful multimedia packages that can't be distributed by
ubuntu).

HTH,
--
g. matthew rice <matt-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>           starnix, toronto, ontario, ca
phone: 647.722.5301 x242                                  gpg id: EF9AAD20