what to use instead of skype?

Matt Price matt.price-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 6 04:02:24 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-05-01 at 18:00 -0500, Alex Maynard wrote:
> Matt,
>
> On Fri, 5 Jan 2007, Matt Price wrote:
>

> > hey folks,
> >
> > so my extended family are all videoconferencing with skype now.  I went
> > through some efforts to get skype 1.3 working on my ubuntu laptop (dell
> > latitude d820, some futzy audio settings), only to discover that the
> > linux version has no video!!!
>
> I just bought a dell laptop running ubuntu and am having a bit of trouble
> getting skype working. I wasn't going to bother the list with questions,
> but if you can share any details of how you got it working that could
> really help a lot.

well, if you have a d820 or similar computer with this card:
~$ amixer info
Card default 'Intel'/'HDA Intel at 0xdfffc000 irq 21'
  Mixer name    : 'SigmaTel STAC9200'
  Components    : 'HDA:83847690 HDA:14f12bfa'
  Controls      : 11
  Simple ctrls  : 6

then the solution may be pretty simple.  Use skype 1.3 (available in rpm
and deb on their website) and upgrade your alsa-tools and alsa-utils ot
1.0.13; running a recent kernel may help also.  THen run alsamiixer, and
toggle the "input source" between 'mic' and 'front mic' a couple of
times; after you've toggled, the internal mic should work (assuming
you're set back to "mic").  THat was my main issue.  The other one of
course was that skype wanted to steal /dev/dsp; but 1.3 now supports
alsa, so that's not an issue anymore.

can be more specific if you think it would help, lemme know how it
goes...
matt