Syncing PDA

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 8 20:31:54 UTC 2007

On Sat, Jan 06, 2007 at 05:04:29PM -0500, Neil Watson wrote:
> After our last discussion I took the plunge and bought a Palm Z22.  I'm
> having a heck of a time trying to sync it.  I've loaded the visor and
> usbserial kernel modules.  When I attempt to have kpilot find the
> device, which appears as /dev/pilot => /dev/ttyUSBx the PDA briefly
> reports a sync but then goes quite.  Kpilot report that it cannot find
> the device.  I see some errors in the kernel log files:
>
> usb 1-3.2: new full speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 39
> hub 1-3:1.0: Cannot enable port 2.  Maybe the USB cable is bad?
> hub 1-3:1.0: Cannot enable port 2.  Maybe the USB cable is bad?
> hub 1-3:1.0: Cannot enable port 2.  Maybe the USB cable is bad?
> hub 1-3:1.0: Cannot enable port 2.  Maybe the USB cable is bad?
> usb 1-3.2: new full speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 43
> usb 1-3.2: device descriptor read/64, error -110
>
> After that the /dev/ttyUSBx files disappear and do not return even when
> I attempt another sync.  I've tried two different cables using both USB2
> and USB1 ports but the error persists.  I'm using kernel 2.6.19.1 and
> Debian Sarge.

Which USB chipset do you have?  I have seen at least 2.6.18 fail to run
USB2 devices on some SIS chipsets, while if ehci-hcd module is unloaded
(making it USB1 only) everything works fine (although at USB1 speeds of
course).  Might be related to your problem.

Of course you probably also need much newer sync software for the pilot
than comes with sarge.  My tungsten E can't sync with sarge, although it
seems to have better luck with what is coming in etch.

--
Len Sorensen