LCD TVs, computers, & linux

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 6 16:01:42 UTC 2007

On 1/5/07, Alex Maynard <amaynard-vQ8rsROW2HJSpjfjxSPG1fd9D2ou9A/h at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> My wife and I have decided to finally splurge on a mid-sized flat screen
> TV. I was hoping at some point in the future to be able to use it as an extra
> large monitor now and then. I don't know that at all realistic. If it is,
> does it matter at all which brand we get (we got a sony LCD but have 30
> days to return)?  Also, are there special drivers or programs I would
> need?  Just thought I would see if any one has thoughts on this before our
> 30 day return period is up.

My brother bought a 37" Sceptre 1080p a few months back.  This is a
1920x1080 resolution screen, as opposed to the much commoner 1080i =
1366x768 resolution.  Given the size of these monitors, if you're
considering using it with a computer, the higher resolution is a real
plus.  This unit has a VGA in, and was very easy to set up with the
older (900MHz?) dual boot machine we're using.  The computer has a
Radeon 7500 in it.  Windows didn't really have any trouble with it.
Ubuntu took a bit of hand-tweaking of the xorg.conf file, it now runs
at native screen resolution with 24 bit colour, and it looks fabulous.

We ran "Elephant's Dream" at 1024x768, utterly fantastic.  Sadly, at
higher res all of the Linux video players generated odd colour bands.

I hope to buy a similar screen for myself sometime.  When I do, I'll
definitely be looking for 1080p: it may not ever become a commonly
used standard, but the extra resolution would definitely be worth it.
And I'll look for VGA (or DVI) in.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/