LCD TVs, computers, & linux

Dave Bour dcbour-Uj1Tbf34OBsy5HIR1wJiBuOEVfOsBSGQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 6 11:05:46 UTC 2007

Have just got into the digital advertising business a few months back, this is one I may actually be able to contribute to...

Many of the video cards recognize the system at the other end.  What does that mean to you...some formats depending on the TV may not be supported.  We find many of the systems don't support the 1280X768 mode (wide) but vitually all support 1024X768.  Some will not let video card output what TV is capable of.  Several PC's switch on the next reboot back to a more common resolution.  Use a lot of Shuttle PC's and this is a common problem.  Dell Optiplex's good.  Compaq Deskpro's..don't get me started...Custom boxes with ATI cards...mixed experiences...why ATI...the streaming software was written hard coding some of the ATI attributes hence only ones that work for our application...not my call...stuck with it.

That said, we're using all wide panel screens hence the 1024X768 needs content adjusted to look right.

Viewsonics (32, 37 and 42's tested so far)...good price.  Nuisance though in that "power save" is a blue screen rather than a power save mode.
LG (32 and 37 tested so far)- good price.  Can be configured to come on in scan for PC input first or start in PC input mode rather than TV.  Sharp looking units.
Sharp Aquos (42 tested so far) - fair price, excellent hdtv compared to few others I've seen (limited experience on this), computer input...AGGGGHHHHH.  Keeps flipping to 640X480 - digital pic viewing lousy.  Adjust system to hgher res, at next restart, back to low res mode again.

Recommendation would be to take your PC down when you plan to buy (assuming it's a laptop)...plug in and test, configure the optimum then do a reboot and see if it retains the settings...or make sure you get from a store with a liberal return policy...test it for your self..

Good luck.
D.

   _____