LCD TVs, computers, & linux

Merv Curley mervc-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 6 00:26:38 UTC 2007

On Friday 05 January 2007 18:19, Fraser Campbell wrote:
> On Friday 05 January 2007 18:06, Alex Maynard wrote:
> > My wife and I have decided to finally splurge on a mid-sized flat screen
> > TV. I was hoping at some point in the future to be able to use it as an
> > extra large monitor now and then. I don't know that at all realistic. If
> > it
>
> We bought one last summer and use it periodically with the laptop to see
> our digital pictures in 37" VGA mode.  In our case connect the laptop, flip
> it to VGA out, end of story.
>
> If you wanted to do crazy things like play video games then there would
> probably be a lot more to consider.  One of these days I'm planning to get
> a computer permanently connected to the TV for general use.

My Panasonic projector has a dvi input for a computer input and 2 component
in's, so if one bought an adaptor to make YPbPr then that might work too. It
has S-Video input but no RF input so the TV out of a video card is probably
not useful. One other nice input is a serial RS 232 input, so with a bit of
programming I believe the idea is to control the projector functions with a
computer.

Have fun.

--
Merv Curley