Recent Spadina/College retail experience

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 3 17:56:33 UTC 2007

Neil Watson wrote:
> When I first installed Linux at home, back in the days of kernel 2.2,
> I  had to be very specific about what hardware was installed.  I think
> the
> same is true today.  When I buy from a vendor my requirements are
> very  specific and I do not accept alternatives.
My experience is that clones are OK once an interface has been
reasonably standardized.

It used to be there were 20 different vendors of sound cards, each with
its own interface. Now there are far fewer standards, and sometimes the
generic standards-meeting cards can be better supported than "name
brand" cards that try to extend the standard.

> I don't shop in the College and Spadina corridor very often.  I would
> not expect good service at such cut-rate establishments.
Ditto. Most of what I want can be found inexpensively enough at Canada
Computer at Yonge & Sheppard, TigerDirect, or a store whose name escapes
me on the north side of Sheppard just west of Allen Road. If I really
want the clone-parts experience, these days I would go to Pacific Mall,
which IIRC has more hole-in-the-wall PC parts places than College &
Spadina while boasting IMO the world's finest food court.

At the other end of the scale is CompuSmart at Mavis and Matheson in
Mississauga (the net indicates they also have stores in Scarborough and
at 151 Yonge). While sporting a smaller version of the BestBuy tech
look&feel, they also have a dedicated whitebox/DIY section, with
reasonably knowledgeable and helpful staff who (more often than not, at
least when I've gone) are Linux-clueful. Their prices are a few dollars
more than the Spadina & College chaos and they have fewer off-brands.
But the experience can be much better on your nerves if PC hardware is
not your obsession.

- Evan