a regular supply of perfectly compatible pcmcia cards

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 3 13:31:47 UTC 2007

--- David J Patrick <davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org>
wrote:
> Hi LUG !
> I want to stock perfectly compatible 802.11 and
> hardwire ethernet PCMCIA
> cards, and sell (and use) them at the caffe.
> I put these questions to you
>
> 1) what's the best (100% compatible + good price)
> PCMCIA 802.11 b/g card ?

Well I am using an SMC SMCWCB-G cardbus card, which
works well under the MadWIFI driver. Only catch with
the driver is that the two "idiot" lights, that show
Link and Activity do not light up when the card is in
operation.

Not sure if the above card is still available, but it
was about $20 when I bought it in 2006.

> 2) what's the best PCMCIA ethernet card ?

Best I have ever found is the Xircom "RealPort
Ethernet 10/100+Modem56". No long in production (and
has not been for a few years), but is slick in that
the Ethernet port is built into the card itself (it is
one of the type 3 (thick) cards, and even so the
Ethernet port is a TIGHT fit. Still, very nice not
needing one of those oddball outside cable adaptors).

I got mine used as part of an equipment trade.

> 3) what's the best source of the above ?

Classic problem with the above is that Xircom is no
longer available new, and who might have a quantity of
used Xircoms I have no idea.

As for the SMC, the problem there is the way firms
change card chipsets and yet leave the model number
the same. So, even if you find SMC SMCWCB-G wireless
cards you will have to ask "Is this the same SMC
SMCWCB-G card?".