[TLUG-BOARD]: Wiki Updates

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 28 17:54:42 UTC 2007

On 2/24/07, qwerty172-wzCN7aUSXSrQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org <qwerty172-wzCN7aUSXSrQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I think this should be approached in a different way. I suggest that we start by soliciting
>ideas of what people would like to see on the resource page from the
mailing list. After
>such a list is made available try to get people from the list to
contribute to the
>resource.

> The approach should be democratized so that those who are interested in writing
>about topics are given the opportunity to do so instead of trying to
get volnteers to
>write about topics we feel are worthy of writing about.
>
> Just a thought.

Wikis are decidedly very democratic that way.  Indeed, they're
arguably even a bit more "anarchic" than that; people are generally
pretty free to add whatever they like irrespective of what others
might want to impose.

And that seems pretty OK to me.

Thanks, Sy, for turning on the ability to update the Resources page
<http://gtalug.org/wiki/Resources>; that makes it pretty easy to have
a terse set of links to resources that seem of interest.

People will notice on that page that there are Wiki pages for each of
the following topics:
    *  Consultants
    * Linux distributions
    * MythTV
    * LTSP
    * X Window System and running either apps or X itself atop OpenGL
    * Linux Kernel
    * Linux Networking and configuration
    * Mozilla (Firefox, Thunderbird, ...)
    * OpenOffice.org
    * GIMP
    * SAMBA
    * Databases: PostgreSQL
    * Accounting: LedgerSMB
    * Spamassassin
    * CUPS - Common UNIX Printing System

And for each, I have tried to set up links in between the respective topics and:
a) Some well-known public resources for the component;
b) Meetings we may have held on the topic
c) Local resources on the topic

There are several additional topics that don't have a page sitting
behind them; if anyone feels those should be "further detailed," feel
free to do so.

If there are things that there are local experts on that are NOT on
that list, it would doubtless be a keen thing to enhance the list and
the wiki accordingly.  Feel free.

I haven't done many links to HOWTO documents; if there are ones that
are good, feel free to add them.  (If there are BAD HOWTO documents,
feel free *not* to link to them :-).)

The point of this is to try to have some useful links about Linux,
particularly some links to *local* resources so that if someone is
looking for assistance, they can find something that's better than
merely searching for a HOWTO out on the Internet.

If this is merely "Chris's set of listed resources," that's not of all
that much value.  If there is a reasonably rich set of contributors to
these resources, then it will become of rather more considerable
value.
"...  memory leaks  are  quite acceptable  in  many applications  ..."
(Bjarne Stroustrup, The Design and Evolution of C++, page 220)