Revolution OS

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 26 17:59:57 UTC 2007

On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 03:09:02AM -0500, tleslie wrote:
> Now most actually don't pronounce it the "proper" way with the "nukes"
> at the end, so I don't feel to bad with my pronouncation, but what i
> found interesting, is that Linux did say the name came from
> the sound of his first name with the "ux" at the end,
> and do not must pronounce his hame "line - us"
> not "len  us", so according to Linus, shouldn't
> it be pronouncd as i do    "line ux" in North America ?

Just because you are in North America is no reason to mispromounce names
(although it is near imposible to get people to do it right in many
places since sometimes they simple can't hear the rather big difference,
given you tend to loose the ability to hear sound distinctions you don't
actually use). :)

Linus is pronounced something along the lines of Lee-noose, except
probably a bit shorter vowel sounds.  As for Torvalds, I won't even go
there.  Of course given Linus is actually an English name it would seem,
it is quite possible that it is Linus and his family that got the
pronounciation wrong.

--
Len Sorensen