Revolution OS

tleslie tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 26 08:09:02 UTC 2007

Last week on tllts they had the maker of Revolution OS which I had never
heard of before (the movie).
It isn't a free movie, but if you google you'll find a 700MB high
quality copy avi out there in net land.
I asked on tllts (chat) if he had a paypal link to donate $ and he gave
a email (for paypal) but no link is on his site (i'd have to replay the
podcast to extract the email, i don;t remember it off hand).

Not sure how many (in tlug) have seen it. It is worth watching, but kind
of dated.

A few interesting things i observed/learned from it are:

I (mistakingly now i see) have been refering to MS as a monopoly, which
of course they are not, as if they were that would imply that they have
no serious competitor for OS (and office, etc), which of course they do.
However, they certainly were 4-6 years ago and before, but I do have to
(like probably many) stop refering to MS as a Monopoly, because as doing
so, one is really dumping on Linux. Of course we know the Monopoly lock
they did have, still works in their favour today because of peoples lock
in.

I also am one who pronouces Linux     "line x"
Which is the third most popular pronouncation behind
"len x" and "len nukes"
Now in the movie RMS pronouces the "nukes" so hard its actually funny.
I pronunce it (i guess most feel mispronous it), because even thou I
only started to use Linux on my desktop starting about 5-6 years ago,
and on servers a few years before that, when i first started to talk
about it with school mates, when it came out as Yggdrasil Linux
in UofT book store back in '93 (or sometime around that),
"we" pronounced it like we saw it, with no heard audio pronouncation at
that time from Linus as a guide.

Now most actually don't pronounce it the "proper" way with the "nukes"
at the end, so I don't feel to bad with my pronouncation, but what i
found interesting, is that Linux did say the name came from
the sound of his first name with the "ux" at the end,
and do not must pronounce his hame "line - us"
not "len  us", so according to Linus, shouldn't
it be pronouncd as i do    "line ux" in North America ?

What was also interesting is that
Bruce Perens talks funny, and moves his head acutely when talks, almost
like he is moving a dry cracker around in the back of his throat while
he talks, it was kind of weird. Great guy, but certainly talks weird,
maybe he did have a cold/flu.

anyways, if you havn't seen it, check it out.
and send the creator a few bucks to if you watch it all the way through.

-tl