Padding numbers in filenames

Mon Feb 26 16:46:51 UTC 2007

I have a mess of sequentially numbered files (1.png, 2.png ... 824.png)
that I'd like to pad the filenames of so that they sort prettily
(0001.png, 0002.png ... 0824.png).  I thought to use the rename command,
but I'm not getting the results I need, and Google didn't help.

Here's what I tried with rename:

rename -n "s/(\d)\.png/000$1png/" *

This would only catch the first 9 files, but I no that I had the right
method.

I can certainly whip up a quick program in Python or Perl (I could
probably learn enough Ruby in half an hour too, or Lua, or C, or ...
you get the picture) but I was curious where I was going wrong with
rename.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.
--

yours,

William