Can't Write to External Drive From User Account

Fajar Priyanto fajarpri-RL4StXjWbcMdnm+yROfE0A at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 26 02:40:29 UTC 2007

On Monday 26 February 2007 09:26, Glen Strom wrote:
> I recently bought a 200 GB Maxtor OneTouch III USB 2.0 external hard
> drive. My system is a Dell Dimension 4100 running Slackware 10.2 with a
> 2.4.31 kernel.
>
> The drive was recognized as sda. I partitioned it as sda1 and sda2.
> From root, everything works fine. From my user account, I can't write
> to the drive. I can mount it and read it, but not write to it.
>
> Since I have no trouble mounting the drive, I believe the fstab entries
> are correct:
>
> /dev/sda1   /mnt/usbdrive1   ext3  noauto,rw,users 0   0
> /dev/sda2   /mnt/usbdrive2   ext3  noauto,rw,users 0   0
>

> The permissions on /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2 were as follows:
>
> rw- r-- --- root disk
>
> My user account is already a member of the disk group, so I
> changed the permissions to rw- rw- ---, but that didn't help.
>
> I don't know if this might be a Slackware-specific problem or a general
> permissions problem with some small thing I've overlooked. Does anyone
> have a suggestion?

Hi Glen,
You have done the right thing. However since the /dev is owned by root and the
permission is likely rwxr-xr-x, then it's still not writable.
So, let's try this:
1. Make a directory in /dev/sda1, such as /dev/sda1/mydata
2. And chown it to your use account.

It works for me here (using OpenSuse10.2).
HTH,
http://linux2.arinet.org
9:36am up 1:17, 2.6.18.2-34-default GNU/Linux