Can't Write to External Drive From User Account

Glen Strom gstrom-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 26 02:26:16 UTC 2007

I recently bought a 200 GB Maxtor OneTouch III USB 2.0 external hard
drive. My system is a Dell Dimension 4100 running Slackware 10.2 with a
2.4.31 kernel.

The drive was recognized as sda. I partitioned it as sda1 and sda2.
>From root, everything works fine. From my user account, I can't write
to the drive. I can mount it and read it, but not write to it.

Since I have no trouble mounting the drive, I believe the fstab entries
are correct:

/dev/sda1   /mnt/usbdrive1   ext3  noauto,rw,users 0   0
/dev/sda2   /mnt/usbdrive2   ext3  noauto,rw,users 0   0

The permissions on /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2 were as follows:

rw- r-- --- root disk

My user account is already a member of the disk group, so I
changed the permissions to rw- rw- ---, but that didn't help.

I don't know if this might be a Slackware-specific problem or a general
permissions problem with some small thing I've overlooked. Does anyone
have a suggestion?

Thanks.

--
Glen Strom