Linux in Russia

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 26 00:20:39 UTC 2007

Zbigniew Koziol wrote:
> сейчас по TV говорили  о Linux, о том что у нас эта операционная система пока
> почти не развита, но теперь многие признают что она дешевле и имеет много
> преимуществ перед Windous. И что она в рамках национального проекта будет у
> нас развиваться очень быстро. А в Германии уже сейчас все государственные
> учреждения используют Linux и что Европа к 2011 году будет почти полностью
> переведена на эту операционную систему и что те программисты которые могут
> работать с этой системой получают заработную плату выше на 30% чем те которые
> работают с Windous. Так что ты полностью прав когда говорил, что у Linux
> большое будущее

Google is my friend. I told it the above text and it told me:

"Now on TV talked about Linux, the fact that we have the operating
system is barely developed, it is now widely recognized that it is
cheaper and has many advantages over Windous. And it is a national
project will be our evolve very quickly. And in Germany now all
government agencies are using Linux, and that Europe by 2011 will be
almost completely to the operating system and that the programmers who
can work from the system earn above 30% than those who work with
Windous. So you had it right when he said that the Linux future"

(yes, that's exactly how it ended.)

The timing of this probably has something to do over the recent news
that at least one school system decided to ditch Microsoft after a
piracy scare. Apparently a principal is being prosecuted for purchasing
computers that contained (apparently, unknown to him) bootleg copies of
Windows. While Putin has become directly involved on the principal's
side, prosecuters are were seeking a jail sentence. The response? Rather
than be unsure of whether their Windows software is legitimate or not,
schools choosing Linux don't have that risk.

http://eng.cnews.ru/news/top/indexEn.shtml?2007/02/05/234178

- Evan