Detecting increased RAM in Debian Sarge

Steve Harvey sgh-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 21 22:29:13 UTC 2007

On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 04:43:28PM -0500, Meng Cheah wrote:
> free, top, dmesg and /proc/meminfo on Knoppix displays 2 G RAM.
> But free, top, dmesg and /proc/meminfo on Sarge still displays 1 G RAM.

> How do I make my system detect all 2 G RAM?

  The kernel that you are running for Sarge probably was built with
CONFIG_NOHIGHMEM=y .  Assuming that you are running 2.6 kernels, you
can easily check with:

$ zcat /proc/config.gz | grep HIGHMEM

  If you want to rebuild your kernel, enabling High Memory Support can
be done with one of the config tools under the Processor type and features
section.  You will want CONFIG_HIGHMEM=y  and  CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y  with
any of the other HIGHMEM-related items commented out.