Detecting increased RAM in Debian Sarge

Meng Cheah meng-D1t3LT1mScs at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 21 21:43:28 UTC 2007

Hi

I have a dualboot desktop (Windows XP/Debian Sarge).
The motherboard is an Asus K8N with 3 memory slots.
I had two 512 memory chips in the first 2 slots.
I added a 1G memory chip to the 3rd slot this morning.
All chips are Kingston PC3200.

The BIOS detects 2 G RAM.
Windows XP detects 2 G RAM.
Knoppix 5.1.1 detects 2 G RAM.

free, top, dmesg and /proc/meminfo on Knoppix displays 2 G RAM.
But free, top, dmesg and /proc/meminfo on Sarge still displays 1 G RAM.

I switched the 1 G chip to the first slot and the two 512 M chips to the
second and third slots.
Same results. Bios, XP and Knoppix displays 2 G RAM while Sarge displays
1 G RAM.

How do I make my system detect all 2 G RAM?

Thanks in advance.

Meng Cheah