funny hard drive "activity"

Sy Ali sy1234-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 16 14:30:16 UTC 2007

I woke up this morning to see my computer gently blinking its hdd led
in a nice gentle repeating pattern.  It's odd, because there was
nothing happening on the computer and it was left overnight, unplugged
from a net connection.

So what gives?  Is it spending its off time wearing itself out, or is
it legitimately doing something?  - optimizing the drive?

I know there's a bunch of "all is well" logging happening, but this
struck me as a little strange because a log would just drop its data
and go quiet again.

Ideas?