IM without a silo?

Kevin Cozens kevin-4dS5u2o1hCn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 14 19:39:30 UTC 2007

William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
> I've been using ICQ for instant messaging for a while, via gaim, and it
> works fine.  However, I can't send or receive messages from people who
> use MSN or AOL or Yahoo! or anything else.  This makes me sad.
>
> The question:  Is there a way to have one IM setup that lets me send and
> receive IMs from people in different silos?

I use GAIM under Windows and Linux. I have used it to communicate with a
friend of mine via both Yahoo and MSN with no problem. Check the version of
GAIM you are running and update it if its old. You should also check your
firewall configuration. Perhaps it is preventing you from interacting with
people on Yahoo and MSN.

I do have a problem with handling file transfers to/from users on several
protocols but I know that is my firewall configuration. I haven't tried to
work out which ports need to be opened/forwarded to allow successful file
transfers. Since I seldom need to do file transfers it hasn't been a priority.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.