IM without a silo?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 8 17:23:00 UTC 2007

On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 11:36:04AM -0500, William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
> I've been using ICQ for instant messaging for a while, via gaim, and it
> works fine.  However, I can't send or receive messages from people who
> use MSN or AOL or Yahoo! or anything else.  This makes me sad.
>
> The question:  Is there a way to have one IM setup that lets me send and
> receive IMs from people in different silos?  I'm delighted to use
> Jabber, but I don't want to have to convince anyone else to use it, and
> I would prefer not to have to get an account in every silo to give me
> the illusion of interoperability.  Is this doable?  Thanks.

I have no problem with yahoo using gaim (although it has to be a fairly
recent version to work, since yahoo keeps changing the protocol).  I
know people using it with msn successfully too, with the same issues as
yahoo.  I use it with jabber as well (google's IM).  If you aren't
running gaim 2.x you probably won't be able to do yahoo or msn.

--
Len Sorensen