PCB tools for Linux (was Whenceforth the Ubuntu fanboyz now?)

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 12 20:52:15 UTC 2007

On 2/12/07, Christopher Friedt <cfriedt-u6hQ6WWl8Q3d1t4wvoaeXtBPR1lH4CV8 at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > BTW, does Octave handle equation solving along the lines of TK! Solver?
> > I'm talking about a program where you can enter a formula, give it some
> > known values for the variables and have it solve for the unknowns
> > without have to re-arrange the formula.
> >
> > ie. Enter the formula for resonant frequency (Fr), provide values for Fr
> > and C and have the program solve for L.
> >

> I think what Kevin is talking about above is symbolic math facilities,
> which i know that matlab & mathematica allow for. Matlab is _ok_ for
> this, so long as you've forked out all of the cash for the latest
> version. At my lab we have version 2007b or something like that, and
> symbolic math works like a charm (integration, simplification)
>
> On the other hand, at my old lab, our version of matlab was 7.0.1 andS
> its symbolic editor crashed on every use, claiming something to do with
> the libc version on the system.
>
> I'm fairly interested in using octave a bit more too, does anyone know
> any other information about it? From what I understand, it has a syntax
> that is practically identical to matlab - along with many of the same
> built-in functions.

Octave declares itself to be intended to provide a "language that is
mostly compatible with Matlab."

Thus, it's good at manipulating matrix objects.

If what is desired is a system for solving symbolic algebraic
expressions, then Matlab isn't what is wanted.  Matlab can solve
linear algebra problems, but that amounts to solving things that look
like:
  Ax = b
where A is a matrix, and b and x are vectors.

If you want a free computer algebra system, well, there are a number of those.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_computer_algebra_systems

Most of them are available on Linux, some under OSS sorts of licenses.
 The more "general purpose" options that are readily available
include:
 - Maxima (a version of Maxsyma)
 - Axiom (formerly called Sketchpad)

These are a simple "apt-get install maxima axiom" away on a Debian system...

The other historical big names are Maple (produced by Waterloo's SCG)
and Mathematica (Wolfram).  They're thousands of dollars per seat...
"...  memory leaks  are  quite acceptable  in  many applications  ..."
(Bjarne Stroustrup, The Design and Evolution of C++, page 220)