Linux and Religion

Christopher Friedt cfriedt-u6hQ6WWl8Q3d1t4wvoaeXtBPR1lH4CV8 at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 8 15:28:16 UTC 2007

I haven't read what the Icehouse affair is, but I think this is a good
analogy.

Personally, I think that open source is great - i use nothing but open
source software ... well, except adobe reader and my ati drivers. And
there is definitely a huge number of people that will flame on about how
linux beats microsoft hands down, or whatever... the truth is that bugs
are inherent in any software...

I could go on and on about how great open source software is actually,
and love showing people how great linux works on my laptop, or on any of
the the embedded devices I use it on ;-)

What I don't do very often is say what I find lacking in open source
software.

The idea is always lingering in the back of my head. There is 1 main
issue with open source software - or at least the 'bazaar' model of
software development vs 'the cathedral'.

That is, as the number of independently designed software systems
increases, so does the inefficiency of the system as a whole. Code is
re-used less - in ram and also in the design, people often re-invent the
wheel, and subsequently introduce bugs into the system that could
otherwise be avoided, and so on. That is probably a theorem somewhere in
  mathematic logic, proven by Church or Turing or Godel, or Hilber, or
... one of those guys.

However, there are obviously factors working against that.

1) the developer/user community decides on what or who is best in each
case - i.e. more often than not, there are excellent programmers working
on the linux kernel, or Xorg, etc. and they are there because their
talent has been appraised well.

2) non-developers are quite often highly valued simply for their
excellent, non-technical opinions on aesthetic, performance, or useability.

3) most obviously, if software is garbage, people tend to use it less.

Still, if a theorem's a theorem, then in theory it should be
full-standing ... well, unless your theorem proves that it itself is not
proveable.

The linux kernel developers have done a fairly good job in refining
their own tree to be more and more efficient as well.

One could point out how great the Mac os X is, in terms of it's user
interface / appearance, as well as what's running under the hood. I
can't say much about the existence of Mac bugs, because I don't own a
Mac. But what I can really appreciate about their software, is that it
is very much 'unified', from an outward appearance. everything is fairly
scrutinously tweaked, and you can tell that it was designed with the
purpose of 'functioning _excellently_ as a whole'

For those reasons, I really give a thumbs up to the BSD folks, and very,
very, very rarely to the 'cathedral'.

I find also that, using open source software in my work and contributing
back to it as much as possible, sometimes I don't really have enough
time to ensure that the stuff I give back is as efficient as I would
hope it to be. Other times, I wish that all of the applications that I
use, which for the most part are independent, had a tighter collective
design, rather than being a 'patch-work quilt' ...

Anyway, these are just things that I can remark on...

but then again maybe I just have a religious conflict ;-)

Or maybe I'm just software agnostic :)

~/Chris