Trouble in LVM land

Merv Curley mervc-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 7 17:19:23 UTC 2007

Well my good experience with LVM didn't last long.

A couple of days ago, my Mythtv backend computer would not boot up.  All the
startup stuff seems to go along well then it halts with
  can't find videolv01
A helpful message is to use another superblock and e2fsck. Tried that but it
doesn't let e2fsck access hda3.

Situation on the drive  [ setup with the MythDora distro ]
hda1       150 MB    ext3     /boot
hda2             7 GB    LVM      rootvg
                                rootlv01   /
                                rootlv02    swap
hda3        236 GB     LVM     videovg
                                 videolv01    /video

To complicate things   I extended   videolv01  with   hdb.  I doubt that
anything has been written to hdb yet since I haven't done much TV watching. I
don't know if the trouble might be caused by hdb or not. Can I just
disconnect  hdb?

I do have a couple of movies and TV shows on the logical volume videolv01, but
if I have to lose them, it isn't the end of the world.  However without being
able to boot up, I don't know how to use any of the LVM tools like lvreduce
or lvremove that I see listed.

Help from my LVM tutors? I hope that I have supplied enough info.

--
Merv Curley
Toronto, Ont. Can

SuSE 10.2 Linux