Simple video editing?

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 8 13:52:10 UTC 2007

On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 09:23:03 +0100
Christopher Friedt got an infinite number of monkeys to type out:

> Using transcode it is very likely also possible to do this. Transcode
> also links into the ffmpeg code if it's specified as a build option.
>
> There is also lots of documentation about transcode.
>
> http://www.transcoding.org/cgi-bin/transcode
>
> There are several methods of reducing the size of each of the movies.
> You might also want to look into encoding the audio with a different
> codec or using a slightly lower sampling rate (I usually find that 160
> kbps is more than enough for most films).
>
> You can also reduce the frequency of keyframes in the mpeg conversion I
> think.
>
> Most of my use with transcode comes from using 'dvd::rip' (obviously for
> encoding ... umm... all of those home-movies with my kids and whatnot...
> what am i saying, i don't even have any kids) but I would recommend it
> without hesitation.
>
> ~/Chris
>
> Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> > I have two DIVX (.avi extension) video files. I want to reduce the size
> > of them, by reducing the resolution, but also by chopping off the first
> > and last few seconds of the clip.
> >
> > The former I think I can figure out using ffmpeg, but I'm not sure what
> > to use for the the latter.
> > I'd like to have a simple tool that could extract, for instance, the
> > span from 1:15 to 59:45 out of a video.
> >
> > Any suggestions? Is ffmpeg the best tool for resizing?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > - Evan

Missed the original post, but transcode, mencoder, and ffmpeg and the like are
great tools. One 'suite' that has made it dead easy to do exactly what you are
asking about is the Tovid Suite, basically a collection of Python and shell
scripts that pull all of these together to allow for custom encoding options
from a simplified command line (or even a GUI if you like). Right from the
encoding to some really sweet menu creation options (Todisc):

http://tovid.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

I would really recommend getting the latest SVN, it's got some extra options
that are just way too cool. Also, the developers will pretty much bend over
backwards to help you, very accessible. Hell, they even tolerate me ;-)

--
JoeHill