router/printserver/printer recommendations

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 8 07:34:01 UTC 2007

lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org (Lennart Sorensen) writes:

> On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 07:26:47PM -0500, Tim Writer wrote:
> > Unfortunately, Cisco chose to "upgrade" the Linksys WRT54GS so that it's no
> > longer compatible with Linux. Instead, they came out with the WRT54L with
> > half the flash and half the RAM so that it's nowhere near as versatile.
> > Fortunately, there are other manufacturers that make routers which are
> > compatible with the OpenWRT firmware. See this page for complete list:
> >
> >     http://wiki.openwrt.org/TableOfHardware
> >
> > Note that I'm still using an older WRT54GS and have no direct experience
> > with some of the other models.
>
> The WRT54GL is identical to the WRT54G v4, which had full ram, and such,
> and it still runs linux and is still flashable to whichever you want.

According to the above page, the WRT54GL and WRT54G v4 have 4MB RAM and
16MB of flash.

> The WRT54G v5 and above, and I believe the WRT54GS v2 and above are both
> stripped down, and running vmworks, and according to reviews they are
> amazingly crappy routers compared to the linux based versions.

I agree about the WRT54G v5. The WRT54GS v1 through v3 all have 8MB RAM,
32MB flash, and are supported by OpenWRT, i.e. can run Linux. I'm running
Asterisk with decent voice quality on my WRT54GS v2.

> I am amazed that a few MB or ram and flash can save enough money to pay
> a license for vmworks, and still supposedly come out cheaper to produce.
> Weird.

Don't you mean vxworks?

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
647.722.5301                                      toronto, ontario, canada