David, please tell me you weren't part of this...

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sat Feb 3 03:12:43 UTC 2007

Christopher Browne wrote:
> On 2/2/07, Evan Leibovitch <evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>
>> http://www.crncanada.ca/content/software/opinion-this-publicity-li.shtml
>>
>> Kinda makes me proud that I unsubscribed from the ubuntu-ca mailing list
>> a few weeks ago. Geez, how can such good software so badly represent
>> itself to the public?
>>
>> I have to generally agree with the author about the sheer stupidity of
>> this action. Can I assume that TLUG had nothing to do with it?
>
> I know I never heard about it...
>
> The fact that they refer to a 10 foot tall penguin causes me a little
> bit of concern, though...
>
> The thing about protesting is that if you're going to do it, you have
> *GOT* to make sure that:
>
> a) You're sitting on a *clear* "moral high ground."
>
> Ergo, anyone that is discussing engaging in breaking copyright (e.g. -
> burning copies of "Vista" CDs) isn't on that ground.
>
> b) You can trust the others you're protesting with.
>
> That the guy with the decent laptop doesn't trust the others to take
> care of it doesn't suggest that there's much trust to go around.  And
> I certainly wouldn't trust the guy talking about burning Vista CDs...
>
> If nobody was willing to pay for a spool of CDs to give out
> Linux/Ubuntu CDs, that's also an indication of lack of "community
> spirit."  If you can't get a group of ten would-be participants to
> toss out $5 apiece, they're obviously not even as economically
> committed to this as they might be to, say, buying lunch today...

There was no protesting (except for the nasty powertripping security at
the square which is privately operated, they earned my protest).

Many of us are students. That's why we use Linux...

Life in the fishbowl kind of sucks. At least Ubuntu Toronto is doing
something though, so to any detractors, too bad, we're having fun,
causing no trouble, and promoting Linux.

Exuberance I think it's called.

Jamon